Saturday, April 9, 2011

Workout Bargains, Wine Shopping

Happy Weekend to all! I know that I am SO thankful to have some relaxation time after a very long work-week. Once I got off of work yesterday, I came home and had a delicious glass of wine (and proceeded to finish most of the bottle with help from my man!). I also had some of the amazing Simply Lite Dark chocolate I mentioned in one of my previous posts. Ahhhhhh, it was divine and I could feel the serotonin flowing through my brain :)


When it comes to purchasing wine, I always go for the best deal (of course). Since I work for a company that sells to retailers & wholesalers, I know a thing or two about how inflated retail prices can be (and how much things are REALLY worth!). When I shop for wine, I typically go to my friendly neighborhood Raley's and venture to the wine aisle looking for the highest mark-down off of retail price. I like to spend $8-$15 on a bottle and I look for wines that retail for $18-$25. This usually doesn't do me wrong. I also do the classic woman's intuitive decision-making skill where I choose the bottle with the prettiest label. That is also effective :)

One wine tool that I can't believe I've only had for a couple of years is my Houdini wine opener. I can go old-school and use a corkscrew, but I am NOT skilled and I have a 70% success rate with them (maybe not so bad now, but I've broken a cork or two in my day). If you don't have a Houdini and don't think you need one, you are wrong! Okay, maybe you're a talented de-corker, but I would suggest looking into one of them. They also come with a nice little contraption that cuts the foil cover on the top of most wine bottles. Great inventions. I wish I'd though of it myself!


Now it's Saturday and I had to work off my wine. The day I found out a bottle contained 600 calories, I just about died. But it hasn't deterred me (clearly) from consuming regularly in moderation (and some times in gluttonous proportions).

When it comes to getting standard cardio, there is no place I enjoy working out more than my apartment gym. I get free access to this gym (with the money I pay for rent of course), and there is rarely ANYONE in there.


The thing I like most about my apartment gym is that I have no excuse no to go there. I have a paid gym membership elsewhere, but I don't like crowds or waiting on machines. I can walk here and I don't feel intimidated experimenting with free-weights and dong things like jumping squats and lunges that I would feel a bit silly doing in front of people. Today, of course, there was a woman on my elliptical (sigh), so I was forced to use the treadmill. Seriously, longest four mile run of my life. Anyway, if you have an amenity like this where you live, take advantage! I go to my apartment gym 3-4 times a week and I go to my actual gym about 2 days a week.

I'm not knocking my actual gym, because they also have a ton to offer. For me, the only reason I keep my membership is because of the group workout classes. There is one AMAZING instructor (plug, Liana @ Chico Sports Club), and her classes are worth my visit every week. I particularly love Kickboxing and High Intensity Training, which is a fast-paced Step/Boot-camp-ish class.


Group classes can be a little iffy since it's hard to make that first visit and be the uncoordinated person in the back flailing their arms and legs like an idiot (I've been there), but it's worth those few embarrassing visits! After you go to a class a couple of times, you'll notice the instructors use similar moves repetitively and your muscle memory will do a lot of the work for you. You will start to intuitively know which move is coming next, and you'll be a pro in the front row before you know it. Most of these classes are free with a gym membership, and they are like having a personal trainer, but for no added cost. Brave the doubt in your mind and give one of these classes a try. You won't regret it; I promise!

Well, that's all I have to say for now. I'm planning on shopping a bit today, so I might have some great purchases to share later on. Have a lovely weekend and enjoy the gorgeous weather!

2 comments:

  1. A wine suggestion... I am not a big wine drinker but Stephen is and he loves Cocobon from Trader Joe's, it is a red and I would say tastes closest to Menage a trois ($7 and I think the label is cute). I agree on the gym at apartment complexes, so quiet and i also hate being that awkward person trying a new exercise. I love spin too and do that MWF at the WREC. Have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wine tip, Ash! I'll have to give that one a try. I only drink reds, so I'm sure I'll love it too! As far as spin goes, I've gone at Chico Sports Club, but I really didn't enjoy it all that much. I think the music was bad, and that really makes a difference when you're working that hard! I guess I like jumping around on my feet more, but I really should give it another go with a different instructor. I know it's an amazing workout!

    ReplyDelete