Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Beauty Enhancers, Asian Inspiration, Tasty Snacks and Dress Sales!

I can't believe I haven't discussed the miracle that is makeup until now! I love, love, LOVE makeup to the point where I can drop a good $200 in Sephora effortlessly (I know, it's obscene). This probably seems a bit hypocritical since I've been talking about ways to save money, but I definitely splurge on a select few makeup items.

One thing I really love is Makeup Forever's Mat Velvet Foundation since I have very oily skin. This stuff is not cheap by any definition, and the container looks small, but a little bit goes a long way. I pay $34 for this foundation.


Remember how I mentioned my skin is oily? Well, for that reason, a "matifying" foundation is not quite enough; I also have to do double-duty with the Duo Mat Powder, which costs an additional $32 (you see how it adds up so quickly?!). But honestly, this stuff is amazing and so worth it. I've never had it look cakey, even when I'm applying it with a concealer brush.


There really isn't an alternative for me when it comes to this type of foundation, but I did fall in love with a cult favorite, NARS Orgasm blush, and I think I've found a close substitute... I can't discount how gorgeous this blush is, because it is so perfect on all shades of skin. The color is a pink/peachy color with gold flecks that highlight cheekbones marvelously, but it costs $27, so those had better be 24 karat gold flecks!


The last time I was in a Sephora, about to purchase some of this blush when I found a Sephora brand blush that looked very similar for $12! I bought it and I love it. It's not exactly the same, but for how much I saved, it is well worth it. The color is called Corail Frisson.


There are a ton of great finds in the "sets" you can find online and in-store; most of which save a good $50-$60. These sets are great as gifts, but also if you want to trial a new item that is a bit pricey for the full size. There's nothing worse than getting something expensive home and hating it the next day. This set is worth over $50, but it only costs $15!



Drug Stores have a lot to offer as well. I have a couple of favorites that you can find everywhere:

One staple that I always have on hand is Cetaphil face moisturizer. I've used this since I was a teenager, and it's perfect for sensitive skin, plus it's only $9 for a giant pump


Since I've made a commitment to myself that I will never use a tanning bed again, I have had to come up with some alternatives to avoid being the whitest person ever. Spray tanning was okay, but I really wasn't impressed with the results for the price. I really like this Sublime Glow lotion which is like a self-tanner/lotion combination. I notice within a day that I have a bit of color and that keeps me going. I really like the price at $10. Caution, this is, after all a self-tanner so make sure you rub it in really well!!


I've used a lot of expensive mascaras and I really don't see the point in paying $30 for a tube of any luxury brands. I don't like clumpy, hard to manage brushes, so I really like Cover Girl's Lash Blast Length. This one runs for about $7.


That's enough beauty talk for now. On to some more great meals/snacks from this week!

I was really in the mood for something sushi-like, mostly because I will jump at the chance to dip anything complimentary into wasabi mixed with soy sauce, but also because I generally like the flavors of sushi. I found this veggie roll at Trader Joe's (Brown Rice Veggie Roll) and I was pleasantly surprised that a 4-piece serving was only 200 calories. I had a very filling and delicious lunch because of this purchase (I had 4 pieces, but I'd already eaten one when I took this!)



Another great find was this Simply Lite Sugar Free Dark Chocolate. I'm usually a little weary of sugar free candy, but knowing that dark chocolate is naturally light on the sugar, I gave it a try, and I am happy I did! Two squares (just the right amount) are 67 calories, although a serving is 3 squares at 100 calories. The flavor is amazing and really gets my chocolate fix. 


I also tried out some frozen Teriyaki Chicken from Trader Joe's (150 Calories for one cup and lots of protein!). I threw together a stir fry of broccoli, onion, garlic, zucchini & water chestnuts and put the chicken and stir-fry on top of a bit of organic brown rice (the 90 second microwave kind from Safeway). Here is the finished product (It was SO good and under 400 calories)


For dessert I had my favorite treat, Dreyer's Whole Fruit Coconut Bar. This bar is 120 calories and since I'm a huge fan of coconut, it really doesn't get any better for me. I would HIGHLY recommend these bars. I also like the other fruit flavors, most of which are about 80 calories for a bar.


Last, but most certainly not least, check out these awesome deals I found online for cute spring looks:


Lulus.com Dress On sale for $28.00



Forever21.com Ragland Top on sale for $11.00



BananaRepublic.com Dress on sale for $79.99 (it's Silk!)



Well, this has become a novel, but I had a lot to share and some spare time to get it all out of my head :) Hopefully I'll get the chance to be creative in the kitchen this week with some more of my new items!

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog because it offers advice on good products I am in need of! Dreyer's fruit bars are my favorite, but I have yet to try the coconut... it's now on my shopping list :)

    ReplyDelete