Saturday, April 7, 2012

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

Happy Weekend!

This morning, I decided I'd take one of the 500 pumpkin recipes I've saved over the past 6 months and actually bring it to fruition. There's just something about pumpkin!

This particular recipe is from my favorite blog ever - carrotsncake.com
I follow this blog daily and feel like Tina is my friend in some weird, internet kind of way. Don't judge.

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
Adapted from Carrots 'n Cake

Ingredients

  • 2 tbsp Canned Pumpkin
  • 1/2 Medium Banana
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 Scoop Pro5 Vanilla Protein Powder
  • 3/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth
2. Heat pan or griddle over medium heat and coat with Pam (or another non-stick cooking spray)
3. Pour batter into pan (as either 2 or 3 pancakes)
4. Cook each pancake for about 2-3 minutes, then flip. Cook on the alternate side for about one minute
5. Serve with your toppings of choice

Basic Nutritional Information (without toppings):

Calories 211, Fat 5g, Carbs 19.5g, Protein 23g


The CNC original version called for ground flax, so I was going to use Chia seeds (1/2 tbsp) BUT I forgot :( I'm pretty bummed since I'm trying to incorporate Chia wherever I can, but I left them out of this recipe since I knew I'd be living a lie! Not really, but I want to make sure they absorb the liquid/add a nice texture, so I'll give them a try next time.


I added 1 teaspoon of light butter spread and about 1/8 cup sugar free maple syrup to my pancakes and I liked the flavor a lot. I think the banana shines through a bit more than I'd like - I'm all about the pumpkin after all, so I may add some more pumpkin and 1/4 of a banana in the future.

All in all, this is a healthy, delightful breakfast for a weekend day (or if you're a superhuman who gets up to make breakfast on weekdays).


Have a lovely weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, 23 grams of protein?! I could definitely get into this - especially with pumpkin involved!

    ReplyDelete