Thursday, April 5, 2012

Broccoli Salad - Lightened Up

My mom makes the best salads ever. Well, she makes the best everything, really, but when it comes to family functions, I'm always scooping up 3 helpings of whatever immaculate side dish she decides to make. One of my all-time favorites is her Broccoli Salad. I'm pretty sure a lot of moms make this as a side dish, but I assure you, my mom makes it better. Just sayin'.


As much as I yearn for this salad, I know it's not the healthiest in the world. I was really craving it earlier this week, so I set forth on a mission to make it as a lighter version. Don't get me wrong, I will be eating my 3 helpings the next time Mom makes it the classic way.


Broccoli Salad - Lightened Up
Adapted from Mom



  • 4 cups Cleaned/Chopped Broccoli

  • 2 tbsp Light Mayo

  • 1 tbsp Aged Balsamic (I used Lucero's classic balsamic - anything thick/sweet will do)

  • 2 tbsp Bacon Bits

  • 1/4 cup Red Onion

  • 1 tbsp Almond Accents

  • 1/2 Box Raisins


  • Directions

    1. Rinse broccoli and chop into bite sized pieces

    2. Cut two large slices of red onion, mince into small pieces

    3. Mix light mayo and aged balsamic until they form a dressing

    4. Microwave bacon bits for 15 seconds in microwave

    5. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl

    Makes 4, 1 cup servings


    Basic Nutritional Information

    Calories 96, Fat 4.13g, Carbs 11g, Protein 5g



    It turned out to be pretty tasty. I could have added some additional mayo and balsamic dressing to coat the broccoli a bit more (that stuff absorbs, I tell you!). All in all, it satisfied my craving and was a nice side dish for a week-night dinner. It was also boyfriend approved.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment