Saturday, June 11, 2011

Freckles Emerging & Flowers Blooming

It's a beautiful weekend and I've been trying to be out in nature enjoying it a bit more than usual. I think my soul needed it more than I had even realized. I walked to Raley's last night to buy a bottle of Zinfandel and I thought that I should really do that more often. The summer temperature and air is so pleasant and sense-heightening. I felt kind of a rush of endorphins mixed with a sense of freedom (and excitement about my $8 Sterling Vintner's Collection wine, down from $15.99!).

In the midst of my walk, I was having a deep moment, inhaling the scent of some kind of sweet flower, and I thought of a few lines of a poem in my head, which I allowed to come to fruition today. I know that this isn't exactly flowing with the theme of my blog, but the purpose of this post is to show the value in life and being present. Thankfully my blog is about value in all of its forms, so I'm okay with sharing a little artsy verse with you today. I'm open to titles if anyone can think of one :)



Fresh cut flowers must envy their firmly planted ancestors
Roots bound and bonded with the ground
Boasting a scent that lingers on
Not an impermanent fixture in a vase
Needing to be re-cut and maintained
Only to one day give up on the hope of flourishing
Exuding beauty in view and aroma
Here one day, and trash the next
I still feel remorseful throwing them away
When they were once so vibrant and so young
But I can't deny that they are not what they once were
They are wilted, I am guilted, and their beauty is gone.


_


Yeah, a little somber, I know. I was 2 glasses of wine deep on my walk (the walking was a good choice for multiple reasons), and I felt pensive about life and how all things are ever-changing.

Enough with the deepness for now. I'm excited to spend some quality time with my family today and tomorrow since I don't see them nearly enough. I will be taking full advantage of their pool and hopefully gathering a little pigmentation to my skin (really I just get slight color and more freckles that end up running together to form some semblance of a tan). I wish I had this chair. Seriously, it's a motorized pool lounge with cup-holders! I love it :D


I am really going to try to be present in each moment this weekend and focus on giving my mind the rest that it needs after working so damn hard during the week. For this same reason, I've also been dabbling in Yoga & Pilates; both of which have proved to be very beneficial. It's strange how just breathing in a controlled state can affect your sense of being and make you more aware of the world around you.

I hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend in the sunshine and splendor :) Try to take some time to breathe... Your mind will thank you! Also, if anyone wants to buy me the pool lounger above, I am totally okay with that.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I felt my step lighten just reading this! In fact, I think Ill write me one on my blog, you follow yet?http://fullcircleorganicgardener.blogspot.com/ Come over and check out my Linds inspired post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theme schmeme... I think you should write about whatever you want :) Isn't is crazy how the the simplest things in life can make us so happy? And that people, including myself, need constant reminders to breathe deeply and relax. Doing so works wonders! Have an enjoyable, relaxing weekend with the fam Lindsey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you were inspired by your walk to write... don't you love those moments when you least expect them... I could almost smell Chico evening air in your blog... and it made me miss it; made me want to be walking in your footsteps. Thanks for sharing this and lovely, lovely poem!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete